[SunRescue] Wacky devices + other questions

sparcy sparcy at proxy.goblin.cx
Mon Mar 13 04:45:36 CST 2000

Hi James,

> > 1. When I bought the machine there was a box with all kinds of cables and
> > stuff, after grabbing a type-5 keyboard and a mouse I grabbed some more
> > cables, I don't have a clue what I took, but since I'm not familiar with
> > Sun, I though better be safe than sorry and take some more stuff.
> > Anyway one of these things is a tiny square box (about 4x4x2 cm) with
> > a sun logo on the front, and an opening in the back, when you open it
> > there's a flat battery in it (looks like a cmos-battery type thing from
> > your ordinary PC) there's also a cable coming out from it which ends in
> > a walkman phone jack - what the heck is this ?
>
> Microphone.  They originally came with little brackets that could be
> attached to a monitor.

Ah okay a microphone. Neat!, I remember seeing those little plastic brackets, so I've should've
taken on of those too.

> > 2. The mouse is optical (are all sun mice optical ?) I like it, no more
>
> All older Sun mice are optical.  It appears that the type-5 optical mouse
> has been discontinued, a great pity.
>
> > roller ball which gets dirty (== non functioning) - It kinda, sorta works on
> > a standard mouse pad. But I guess I need a special mouse pad for it, where
> > could I buy one, or could I print out something which would also do the
> > trick (I'm guessing the mouse needs some 'reference' on the mat to track
> > it's position)
>
> What kind of mouse is it?  Is it boxy and white with long oval buttons
> ("type-4") or rounded with rectangular blueish buttons ("type-5")?
> There's also the hourglass figure "type-6" available now, but only in
> an optomechanical version.
>
> The type-5 mousepads are available new from Sun for $12/ea or so.  The
> type-4 pads are more common on the used market but not available new as
> far as I know.  The two types are not interchangable.

I looked at the bottom of it, and it says type 5. I'll try some newspaper
paper today (as other people suggested) if that doesn't work good enough
I'll buy such a pad. 12 bucks is doable.

Thanx for the info !

Cheers,
sparcy.