[SunRescue] Wacky devices + other questions

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sun Mar 12 18:08:47 CST 2000

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Jonathan [no, I don't write for /.] Katz wrote:

> Just curious-- what are the specs on the 20? I'm trying to get my hands
> together on one.. (or a CS6400, whichever I can get my hands on first.)

2 mbus slots for up to 4 CPU's.  8 DIMM slots that can take 16MB, 32MB or
64MB 60ns 200-pin DIMMs (used in SS10/SS20/Ultra 1/2/30/60/2x0/4x0) for a
maximum of 512MB.  2 of the DIMM slots have "outboard" slot extensions
that can be used to fit either a VSIMM (to enable onboard accelerated
24bpp SX video) or an NVSIMM (for disk write cacheing).

4 sbus slots, 2 by 2.  Onboard 10mbps ethernet, 10MB/sec fast/narrow
SCSI, 2 serial ports, parallel port, DBRI audio (embedded mmcodec) for
up to 48KHz/16 bit stereo.  150W powersupply.  Room at the front of the
chassis for 2 1" SCA SCSI drives on sleds, an internal CDROM drive and
floppy.  Older SS20's (most of them) used a funky 1/3rd height bay for the
CDROM drive that only fit a Toshiba XM4101B, later ones used a regular 1/2
height bay.

Hands down the best pre-Ultra desktop and low-end server.  CPU modules are
still more expensive than they should be, though.  Be careful with really
hot CPU modules and hard drives, cooling in the chassis is decent but not
forgiving of extremes as space is tight.

> Looks like an audio box to me. Basically a cheezy external speaker with
> "port-replicator" like abilities for audio in/out line in/out, etc. I
> dunno the real specs off hand. I have a tatung audio box sitting
> collecting dust at the office I can take a look at and get the full specs
> on if you're interested.

If what you have is a clone of the regular Sun speakerbox then it's much
more complicated than that.  The speakerbox is fed a serial digital signal
by the onboard DBRI hardware and has a CS4215 mmcodec inside it to go to
analog.  They're generally only usable on SS10's, LX's and clones.

-James