[SunRescue] Wacky devices + other questions

sparcy sparcy at proxy.goblin.cx
Sun Mar 12 16:00:02 CST 2000

G'day fellow rescue'ers,

I recently bought 2 SS2's and got the now up and running successfully
(thanks to this list)

I also got my hands on a SS20, since I'm completely new to sun hardware
I've got 2 questions;

1. When I bought the machine there was a box with all kinds of cables and
stuff, after grabbing a type-5 keyboard and a mouse I grabbed some more
cables, I don't have a clue what I took, but since I'm not familiar with
Sun, I though better be safe than sorry and take some more stuff.
Anyway one of these things is a tiny square box (about 4x4x2 cm) with
a sun logo on the front, and an opening in the back, when you open it
there's a flat battery in it (looks like a cmos-battery type thing from
your ordinary PC) there's also a cable coming out from it which ends in
a walkman phone jack - what the heck is this ?

2. The mouse is optical (are all sun mice optical ?) I like it, no more
roller ball which gets dirty (== non functioning) - It kinda, sorta works on
a standard mouse pad. But I guess I need a special mouse pad for it, where
could I buy one, or could I print out something which would also do the
trick (I'm guessing the mouse needs some 'reference' on the mat to track
it's position)

Any hints would be appreciated,

Cheers,
sparcy.