[SunRescue] Viable OS for SS20

sparcy sparcy at proxy.goblin.cx
Sun Mar 12 05:33:05 CST 2000

Hi Greg,

> Right now I've got my choice of RH6.1 or Solaris7 for my SS20.  Solaris7 is
> MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than RH, mostly because of disk, I think.  (that is, I
> know the disk is much better under Solaris, and I think that's most of the
> speed difference).  OpenBSD and NetBSD don't support SMP, so that makes them
> essentially useless to me; I have 2 40MHz cpus.  Solaris8 is out of the
> question, I'm NOT paying $75 for a couple of CDs.  My main reason for
> wanting to use Linux over Solaris was that it has decent console support,
> I.E. I don't have to run X to be able to get a reasonable number of lines on
> the screen.  Have I overlooked any OSes?  If not, is there any way to get
> Solaris to have a decent text-mode console?
> 	Greg

The problem is that scsi support with the current kernels 2.2.* is being
overhauled, linux is know for it's excellent IDE support, *BSD is known
for it's excellent SCSI support (and crappy IDE support). Linux is catching
up though and better SCSI kernel support is being added now. I'd advise to
try out a development kernel since these already have new SCSI code in them
and they might make quite a difference. Try a 2.3.51 (the latest) for
example and see if that helps.

Note that I haven't tested this personally yet (I'm still building up my
SS20, haven't even booted the damn thing)

Cheers,
sparcy.