[SunRescue] Viable OS for SS20

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Sun Mar 12 02:16:07 CST 2000

Right now I've got my choice of RH6.1 or Solaris7 for my SS20.  Solaris7 is
MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than RH, mostly because of disk, I think.  (that is, I
know the disk is much better under Solaris, and I think that's most of the
speed difference).  OpenBSD and NetBSD don't support SMP, so that makes them
essentially useless to me; I have 2 40MHz cpus.  Solaris8 is out of the
question, I'm NOT paying $75 for a couple of CDs.  My main reason for
wanting to use Linux over Solaris was that it has decent console support,
I.E. I don't have to run X to be able to get a reasonable number of lines on
the screen.  Have I overlooked any OSes?  If not, is there any way to get
Solaris to have a decent text-mode console?
	Greg