[SunRescue] Sparcstation with 0 MB (does it boot ?)

bob i thomas iv01dl at mailcity.com
Sat Mar 11 04:04:38 CST 2000

--

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:09:14   Tim Hauber wrote:
>rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>>G'day,
>>
>>I just bought 2 sparcstation-2's, one of them doesn't boot (it doesn't do
>>anything, the on led (light) just goes on and that's it) - the other one
>>works just fine.
>>
>>I opened up the one that doesn't do anything and I noticed there aren't
>>any
>>memory modules in it at all. Is this why it's not doing anything at all or
>>is there something more amiss ? (this because I was expecting at least a
>>PROMP prompt - even with 0 MB of memory)
>>
>>Then another silly question, I tried to remove some of the memory of the
>>first box (which has 64MB) to try to figure out if this was the problem
>>in the 2nd box. Question ; How the heck does one remove memory ?, I looks
>>like there are 2 little 'clips' which go into the hole of the memory
>>module
>>(on both ends) and if you hold these 2 back you should be able to pull the
>>module out ... no luck at all, the damn things are stuck like hell. Is
>>there
>>something else I forgot or do I just need to apply brute force (e.g. it's
>>hammer time ;-)
>>

>>Cheers,
>>sparky

You should know by now that you need ram to boot any type of computer, when you turn on that switch the eeprom(PROM) looks in Ram to find out if it is gonna warm boot or cold boot... and if there is no ram to search it gets locked up in a loop! I acctually think the address is something like hx00056...something like it.
                                V01d

MailCity. Secure Email Anywhere, Anytime!
http://www.mailcity.com