Re(2): [SunRescue] SIMMs [was our SS2 help]

Paul Khoury pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 10 15:00:53 CST 2000

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:50:46 -0500, Tim Hauber wrote:

>rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>>Same for most RS/6k's, though there are exceptions.  Some can take
>>IBM-branded PS/2 SIMMs.
>>
>>-James
>
>IBM used non-standard SIMMs all the way down the line with the PS/2
>machines, at least the early ones.  They made them in weird sizes.  I
>remember buying an IBM 2M 72 pin SIMM for a PS/2 model 25 or whatever that
>little 486 SX was, and it cost more than a 4M standard SIMM at that time.

SX or SLC?  I know IBM used those really bad 486SLC's a lot.
Had on-chip cache, and ran really fast, but it was really a 386SX thinking it was a 486... =(

Yeah, I have some of those 2MB SIMMs here - waiting to put them in a PS/2 I'd like to use as a dumb terminal for
one of my SPARCS or my hub.

And the PS/2 Model 25 was either a 8086 or 286, in an "all-in-one" casing, if I recall.

Paul