[SunRescue] Pulling SIMMs (was Sparcstation with 0 MB (does it boot ?))

sparcy sparcy at proxy.goblin.cx
Fri Mar 10 14:08:19 CST 2000

I wanted to thank all the people who replied, indeed pulling the modules
*straight* out works great (although one still has to apply quite some force
to actually pull one out, I even managed to cut myself quite deep and the
sparc station now has blood on the mainboard - neat ;-)

Anyway, what I did was use 2 (strong) paperclips which I put through the
holes and then pulled it out with 2 additional pincers holding the paper
clips. As long as one pulls them straight out it works like a charm.

This also solved the problem of the 2nd SS2, it seems a SS2 (any SSxx ?)
needs at least some memory to start up at all. (I was assuming I would
at least get to the PROM, even without memory)

So now I've got 2 beautiful SS2's (and a bloody finger) for a mere $25 -
cool!

Thanks again to all the people who replied,

Cheers,
sparcy.