[SunRescue] Re: Woah, a PCI Ultra 1

Jonathan [no, I don't write for /.] Katz jkatz at in.net
Fri Mar 10 09:44:00 CST 2000

> The 100Mbit standard, or the autonegotiation standard? If the latter,
> it's not just Sun that have had wissues with it - standard procedure
> is to manually configure, every platform, every time.

I honestly don't know if it was the auto-negotiation standard or the
100bt standard. From all things I heard it was the latter, but all the
evidence I have backs up the former.

Our U1/170E (Creators) would fall back to 100HDX way too easily when
connected to our high-end Bay 10/100 auto-sensing switches. The Bay's
autosensing was "flawless" with the PCMCIA 3COM NICs used in the
Windows-user's laptops and with the Ciscos we had segmenting our test
networks. I've also seen the hme NICs on an e4k have difficulty talking to
a Cisco Catalyst which had its port hard-set at 100Mbit/FDX because it
"auto-negotiated" to 100HDX. A little ndd (did you know you could force
your hme chipset to re-autonegotiate while life?) and /etc/system magic
fixed that.

-Jon
Jonathan Katz =  J. Random BOFH = http://www.in.net/~jkatz = jkatz at in.net
If only more people felt this way:
	"Linux is only free if your time is worthless."
	-- Mr. Nutty.