[SunRescue] Re: Woah, a PCI Ultra 1

David Murphy drjolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Fri Mar 10 09:23:49 CST 2000

Quoting <Pine.3.87.10003100710.B12519-0100000 at su1.in.net>
by "Jonathan [no, I don't write for /.] Katz" <jkatz at in.net>:

> Cheezy NIC issues are old-hat for Sun. I was told to be suspect of
> the first production hme chips as found on the U1/170E's, as they
> were 10/100 chips which were released before the 100Mbit standard
> was finalized. I never had any issues with them (they seemed to fall
> into 100Mbit/HDX mode too easily sometimes) but I was warned to
> "stay away!"

The 100Mbit standard, or the autonegotiation standard? If the latter,
it's not just Sun that have had wissues with it - standard procedure
is to manually configure, every platform, every time.

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."