[SunRescue] Re: Woah, a PCI Ultra 1

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Fri Mar 10 07:52:45 CST 2000

On Friday, March 10, 2000 2:52 AM, Jonathan [no, I don't write for /.] Katz
wrote:

[snip]

> Any site that does any kind of OEM or partner work for Sun is a good
> place to start hunting for Alpha/Beta-type equipment. Most get that
> equipment free from Sun, devlop on it, and then "forget" to return it
> when the real products hit the market.... then the next cycle of
> development occurs, and that old box goes into some closet to collect
dust.
[snip]

Add big software companies to that list, too.  When I was at Peachtree
Software, and at Crosstalk Communications, we got loads of pre-production
(and some production) hardware from various companies.  They almost never
wanted it back.  I mean, what are they going to do with some non-production
unit in a funky case with a dent in it? Hell, some of them went out of
business before we could finish our compatibility testing, leaving us with
stuff we didn't own, and therefore couldn't sell or even give away.

We had rooms full of the stuff, and neither company was very large.

-Shel