[SunRescue] Question #1 -- UPS Choice for Sun...

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Thu Mar 9 13:26:04 CST 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Earl Baugh wrote:

> My UPS is going south...bad batteries...it's an APC, so I
> know that I can upgrade/trade it in, but I was wondering where
> I can find wattage info so I'll have a better idea which
> model to choose (the APC chooser is just too damn
> stupid...always suggest BackUPS 1000, BackUPS Pro 1000,
> SmartUPS 1000, regardless of what settings I seem to feed

I'd recommend just replacing the batteries if possible.  1000VA is
more than enough for your configuration.

I started an environmental FAQ at one point but I can't find it now.  From
memory (measured with an ammeter):

Sony GDM-1962B monitor: 210VA
Sony GDM-20E20 monitor: 180VA
SS20/2xSM81/6x64MB/2xNVSIMM/9GB/sunswift: 140VA
CDROM drive in external chassis: 25VA

I'd guess your actual draw is well under 500VA.  A 1000VA UPS gives you
plenty of headroom and probably enough backup time.

Some other trivia:

4GB 7200RPM 3.5" hd in external chassis: 40VA
Really Old 48MB Ramstor solid-state disk: 140VA
6xElite-9 disks in Sun rack chassis: 450VA peak, 350VA running
SS1+/64MB/424MB: 45VA
ELC/64MB: 90VA
RS/6000-250/64MB/2GB/GXT100: 120VA
HP 712/80 64MB/2GB: 95VA