[SunRescue] WTF is this?

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Thu Mar 9 11:51:30 CST 2000

> Michael Thompson wrote:
>
> > I have a Tempest Sun 3/60. It is actually a 3/60 in a heavily
> > shielded 12 slot card cage with a copper ethernet to fiber
> > converter board in the chassis. I also have the tempest
> > monochrome monitor that goes with it.
>
> Tempest is a system for shielding equipment to prevent anyone
> eavesdropping by monitoring the EMI that it puts out. I think
> it was some sort of military system, but there may have been
> commercial variants.
>
> This would certainly be consistent with how you describe the
> system. Fibre does not put out EMI, while copper ethernet does.
> The monitor will be very well shielded, since CRTs put out
> more radiation than the rest of the system together.
>
> --m

Yep, exactly what I was talking about with the SS2's.  A buddy bought a
beautiful Tempest 411-style cased SunCD.  Nice, machined aluminum chassis
all riveted together, beautiful workmanship.  Kinda neat conversation
piece...

The Tempest SS2's are very similar, the front of the box folds down to
reveal where the secure disk carriers would have slid in.  Nice machined
aluminum like the CD case.  The units are designated by the Sun hardware
number (i.e. 4/75) instead of the usual Sun SPARCstation 2 designation.

I'll try and get a picture still, will post a URL if I do...

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer