Re(2): [SunRescue] Question #1 -- UPS Choice for Sun...

Tim Hauber tim_hauber at STEV.net
Thu Mar 9 09:55:23 CST 2000

rescue at sunhelp.org writes:
>A 1k would do nicely.  The bigger you buy the longer it'll last.  If you
>really care about runtime consider an XL, because you can add battery
>packs
>to it (reasonably priced even).  The difference between the backups, bup
>pro and smart ups is level of smarts.  The backups is Stupid, it can tell
>if it's getting power, and if it's battery is "low", that's about it.  The
>smartups can tell just about everything, line voltage, batt voltage, batt
>%, etc etc.  The backups pro is somewhere in between.  If you intend to
>set
>up monitoring get a pro or smart, if not get a backups.  APC's are
>expensive, but i've had very good luck with them.
>my 2c
>	Nick

The smart ups  is extremely versatile, with plug in cards for it that do
everything from complete outlet control over an IP network (you know that
remote machine that locked tight and you need to power cycle it)
environment monitoring (temp, humidity) scads of serial ports so it can
tell a bunch of computers to shut down, they even sell expansion chassis
for these things.  If I remember from my research the pro has no slot, but
there is an external slot chassis that plugs into it's serial port.

for the machine on your desk, backups is fine, as far as I know APC uses
the same switching circuitry on everything except those little tiny ups
things they sell at WalMart.