[SunRescue] WTF is this?

Martin Frost martin at dsres.com
Thu Mar 9 09:23:44 CST 2000

Michael Thompson wrote:

> I have a Tempest Sun 3/60. It is actually a 3/60 in a heavily
> shielded 12 slot card cage with a copper ethernet to fiber
> converter board in the chassis. I also have the tempest
> monochrome monitor that goes with it.

Tempest is a system for shielding equipment to prevent anyone
eavesdropping by monitoring the EMI that it puts out. I think
it was some sort of military system, but there may have been
commercial variants.

This would certainly be consistent with how you describe the
system. Fibre does not put out EMI, while copper ethernet does.
The monitor will be very well shielded, since CRTs put out
more radiation than the rest of the system together.

--m