[SunRescue] Loads

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Thu Mar 9 04:22:19 CST 2000

Hi!

>Uhm, a SS20 will easily support up to 200Mhz HyperSPARC CPUs
>with the right OpenBoot PROMs.

Four of them??? Surely not!
You can plug in two 200 (225???) MHz cpus, but that would not
gain much compared to the four 95 MHz cpus. I'd even say the
four cpus are better cause it's harder for a single person to
occupy all cpu horsepower.

>> P.S.: Sun doesn't recommend more than 2 processors in
>> the SS20 that are faster than 50 MHz.=20
>
>Where'd you get this from?  And, if its true, why did Sun
>sell the SS20 available with SM71s, SM81s, or 150Mhz HyperSPARCs?

They never sold any machine with four SM-61 or faster. The
only four CPU configuration that sun supported ever was the
SS20-514, e.g. two 50 MHz dual cpu modules with 1MB supercache
each. The reason was simple: Four 60 MHZ (or faster) would
clog the M-Bus and run slower than four 50 MHz cpus.

Notice that the Hypersparc have only 256 kb cache...

Tschuess

Peter