[SunRescue] Woah, a PCI Ultra 1

David Murphy drjolt+sunrescue at redbrick.dcu.ie
Wed Mar 8 04:14:20 CST 2000

Quoting <14531.18430.372306.100726 at phaduka.neurotica.com>
by Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>:

> > Does the Ultra5 have anything going for it besides price?  With
> > starting prices at $2000 for new systems, they do seem like a
> > really good deal.

> Seems to me that it's a PC with a SPARC processor on the board
> instead of a Wintel chip. Cheapass PeeCee case design, cheapass
> PeeCee power supply, cheapass IDE disks, etc etc...

Actually, the PCs of today have much better case design/internal
layouts than the Ultra 5 - it's like a mid-80s desktop PC inside. IMHO
however, the Ultra 10 is much worse - so many people buy it as a
low-end server, 'cos it can take 2 internal disks and they want to
mirror them, never realising that Sun ship both IDE disks on the same
channel, so if one disk does fail, it'll take the other with it.

--
When asked if it is true that he uses his wheelchair as a weapon he will reply:
"That's a malicious rumour. I'll run over anyone who repeats it."