[SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] Whew...

Ed.Mitchell at centigram.com Ed.Mitchell at centigram.com
Mon Mar 6 15:47:33 CST 2000

--0__=TZb6XDKzPW8SQV6a9dzpq94QHSdl7idXlqUFhrDZHVLXKXEceMZCGcaG

Three letters for Cisco fans...

Q - N - X.

From: Gregory Leblanc <GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu> on 03/06/2000 03:50 PM GMT

Please respond to rescue at sunhelp.org

To:   "'rescue at sunhelp.org'" <rescue at sunhelp.org>
cc:    (bcc: Ed Mitchell/US/Centigram)
Subject:  RE: [SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] Whew...

=F6rn Ramqvist [mailto:brt at osk.sema.se]
> Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2000 11:19 PM
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] Re: [Sunhelp] Whew...
>

> > | Just out of curiosity, what's the best value for a
> functional Solaris
> > | unit (pref sparc architecture) for
> >
> > | routing, and
> >
> > Call Cisco.
>

> Just for curiosity... Why Cisco? :-)
> I can't think of another company beginning to look more and more like=

> Micro$oft, considering their size, support and everything.
> Look at their
> product catalogue! :-) OK, yes, they DO make the biggest
> (fastest, most
> bandwidth-capable) routers on the Internet, but besides that is there=

> anything "oh so special" about Cisco?
> (IOS? huuh...)

For the "real" routers made by Cisco, I prefer them to the ones made by=

3Com
(the only two brands I've used).  IOS is a lot nicer to work with than
whatever 3com works with, and allows easier access to more things.  IOS=
 is
also a bit ahead in supporting routing protocols (beyond RIP, to things=

like
OSPF, and BGP3/4) than what I've seen out of our 3Com products.  On the=

consumer side, my Cisco 675 ATM-DSL to ethernet bridge/router crashed 3=

times on my last night, the only thing you can do is unplug it.
     Greg

Rescue maillist  -  Rescue at sunhelp.org