[SunRescue] BWTWO question.

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Sat Mar 4 14:53:09 CST 2000

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Earl Baugh wrote:

> Ok, I went by Fred's and picked up a couple of the mono-monitors
> (one as a "back up" in case my main color one ever goes out...figured
> it'd at least let me have a console during the time I would be fixing
> the color one..) So, anyway, I tried hooking one of the monitors to my
> "almost free" IPC I've been piecing together, and had some strange
> behavior.  Basically the screen displays, but it's the display is...well,
> it's like a moving window in which the underlying picture can be viewed
> thru.  This was similar to the output I saw when I tried to plug in the
> color monitor to the same adapter.  So, I'm wondering if the IPC

Have you tried sliding the switch on the back of the monitor to 1152x900?
It may be set to 1280x1024.

The Zenith 20 can handle 1152x900 71.7KHz/76Hz and so can the onboard IPC
video so it should work.

> motherboard has an actually working bwtwo adapter.  I've got a line on
> a real, real, cheap SBUS bwtwo card (which I was planning on picking up
> as part of the backup-display situation I mentioned earlier).  Soooo, the
> question is whether or not I can put this SBUS card in the IPC without
> there being a conflict with the onboard adapter.  Anybody ever tried it?
> (It's all cheap stuff, but I hate blowing a card by doing something
> stupid...)

You can't really blow a card in a Sun just by plugging it in.  If you plug
a secondary framebuffer into a Sun you will then have 2 video outputs.
Whichever one is probed first will become the default console (usually the
sbus slots are probed earlier).

Note that there are two types of bwtwo cards, the mg1 ECL mono card and
the mg2 analog mono card.  You want the analog card (the one with the
13W3, not a DB9).  A color card will also work (like a cg3) and will give
you grayscale on that monitor instead of mono.

-James