[SunRescue] How to boot a Sun3

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Fri Mar 3 13:36:55 CST 2000

> Hi,
> I managed to tapeboot my Sun3/60 with netbsd-1.4 but it doesn't go past
> the kernel... e.i it gets to detecting the drive gives me an error message
> about the blocksize not being correct and then gives me a message about
> no /dev/console and stops... When I try to install SunOS 4.1.1 on the box
> it gives me "Invalid page bus error" what is the problem ? Anyway hoow
> could I manage to get an os on the system... Or do I have to hack the
> system by creating the bootlayout on the disc from an other system and
> preping the disc ?

One other thing to check on any old suns using tapes is the tape transport
rubber drive capstan wheel.  ALMOST ALL of my tape drives are decomposing
into a sticky goo, that renders them junk.  Check to see if your tape
drive rubber is in the least sticky.  IFF it is, DONT USE IT.  It will
trash your tapes.  Find a replacement, or try to find some sort of
rubber tubing that you can cut a replacement drive wheel tire out of.
Superglue into place, and good luck.  I have been looking for replacements
for over a year.  Two found so far, and several attempts at rubber tubing
retreading using odd bits of hose have been marginally successful.

Thanks to the two gents that sent me capstan wheels.....pax be with you.

Bob