[SunRescue] anciente tapes de SunOS.....

jwbirdsa at carfallin.picarefy.com jwbirdsa at carfallin.picarefy.com
Thu Mar 2 16:52:28 CST 2000

>>    I have tape images of a few different 2.x versions for Sun-2's. I'm
>> pretty sure that SunOS 1.x and 2.x were 68010-only.
>
>OK.  But, for the historical record, ahh, er... rescuing record,
>we probably need to try to read those in.

   Already done. I had enough trouble reading the tapes (a lot of the EOF
markers were gone, so I got big globs consisting of several tars that I had
to separate manually) that I burned them all onto CD-R when I did manage to
get it all straightened out.

>That sounds reasonable.  Would it require that you have the correct
>bridge boards and ESDI drives or MFM drives, tho?  Will straight scsi
>drives work correctly on a sun2?  I would expect that they should,
>but there may be some holdover quirks from using the early mfm/esdi
>drives.  When I stick mfm or esdi drives in my 3/160 with the sun2
>controller, they all work fine, but scsi drives sometimes are hit
>and miss.

   I ran a 2/120 for years on a Fast SCSI-2 drive. I did get the occasional
SCSI error, but I think that was the drive's fault. When the errors
eventually got too bad, IIRC I tried the drive on other systems and it
wouldn't work correctly on those either.

>I have had pretty good luck with 3.5.  It generally ran fine, and
>seemed to compile most things I needed to test run on it.  I built
>gcc-142 and 258 on it, and TeX, and some minor graphics packages.
>A few things had trouble, but most seemed to work, reasonably.

   Oh, that's another thing about Sun-2's: recent versions of gcc (2.7.x
and maybe 2.6.x, I don't remember anymore) may generate bad code for the
68010.

   --James B.