[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

BSD Bob bobkey at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 2 09:06:04 CST 2000

> >>And NetBSD runs real sweet on it - I think current uptime is like 10 days...
> >
> >I've tried NetBSD with every new major revision. In the meantime
> >it runs great on the desktop boxen like the 3/60 but it still
> >sucks a lot on the VME machines.
> >
> Such as...

3/110, 3/160, 3/260, all with sun2 or sun3 scsi controllers.
BAD scsi timeout errors occur on all of my machines.
Tapes won't boot properly.
Miniroots loaded from swap die.
Etc.

Works fine on singleboard machines, apparently.

Same problem on sun4 vme crates (4/260).  YET, it runs fine
and also does OpenBSD on a 4/110.

Either, noone has fully tested it lately on vme crates, or,
something has seriously changed in the driver code, or it
never did run exactly right on vme crates.

Sunos 3.5, 4.1, 4.1.1, 4.1.1U1, 4.1.3, all work fine.

IFF you know of a way to get it up on vme scsi boxes, do holler!

Me and James Birdsall would love to get it up on our vme crates.
He has been fighting it, too.... and he is the guru.

I'm the sundummy, so I could claim the duncecap syndrome, but it
should not be that difficult to get it up on vme crates, IFF it
does in fact work on them.  My VAXen, Pmaxen, Sparcs, and those
sorts of things eat NetBSD/OpenBSD just fine.... alas, me dinosaurian
VME sun3/sun4 monsters choke on it.

Such is the funzies of anciente suntoyz.....(:+\\.....

Bob