[SunRescue] do I have a problem?

Kurt Huhn kurthuhn at k-huhn.com
Wed Mar 1 19:34:08 CST 2000

>Since I come from a VW/Audi family, I know you can't have enough Jettas,
>in fact, last night I was pulling an alternator out of a Jetta to build a
>Golf in 6 inches of mud in a horse pasture.  This thing is a miracle car,
>this guy gave it to my brother (who just blew the motor in my (well his)
>4000 Quattro).  He was giving it away because he accidently filled the
>radiator with battery acid, and decided he didn't want to know how much
>damage he did (he did flush it right away as soon as he realized his
>mistake)  hasn't been started in 7 months, through the winter here in NY.
>We put a new radiator in it, took an alternator out of a Jetta and stuck
>it in it, put a new battery in it, and the darn thing started first try,
>without even touching the accelerator or anything.  That's like digging a
>computer out of a snow bank, blowing it with a hairdryer and booting it.

Many years ago I got, for free, a Volkswagen Rabbit Deisel that had sat in
somebody's backyard for about 5 years.  When I picked it up it had water
filling the interior up to the door line and frozen rear drums.  I unfroze
the drums, tipped on it's side to empty the water, and drained the FI
system.  After priming the FI system with some fresh deisel fuel, it cranked
6 or 7 times and barked to life.  For some unknown reason I decided to sell
that car - Karma got back at me though when I had to suffer through a string
of Ford Escorts and Mercury Lynxs that all had problems with catrastophic
engine failures - usually on I-95 at 70MPH...

Kurt