[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Mar 1 03:16:41 CST 2000

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Peter Koch wrote:

> Sure. The price was at $12000 for a monochrome and $18000 for a color station.

Then again, a 3/470 was pushing $45K.  Entirely different market, though.

$18K was _cheap_ for something with that kind of video capability back
then.  $4-5K for a good 19" color monitor was quite reasonable at the
time.

> I like the 3/260 and 3/470 too. But these are big VME monsters...
> Yeah, the 3/60 is surely the best desktop Sun3 and beats a lot of
> machines from other vendors...

I liked the 3/450 I had on my desk, but calling it a "desktop" was a bit
of a stretch.  With a P4 cg6 and a 32MB memory board it was an absolute
screamer even after the early Sparcs came out.  Heated up the room more
effectively too.

/x50 was a nice case form factor.  It's too bad Sun didn't make more of
them, the /x30 was a poor replacement even considering the internal drive
room.

-James