[SunRescue] 3/60 crate

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Wed Mar 1 02:48:53 CST 2000

Hi!

Paul Khoury wrote:
>Wow, it really was high end then?

Sure. The price was at $12000 for a monochrome and $18000 for a color station.

>best m68k machine I've ever owned hands down.

I like the 3/260 and 3/470 too. But these are big VME monsters...
Yeah, the 3/60 is surely the best desktop Sun3 and beats a lot of
machines from other vendors...

>Then again, I also like my Mac Quadra 610...

Ah, there is a difference liking a Mac (who doesn't?!?) and liking
a Sun... you like the Mac for its extraordinary ggod GUI and you
like the Sun for the hardware AND the Unix.

>And NetBSD runs real sweet on it - I think current uptime is like 10 days...

I've tried NetBSD with every new major revision. In the meantime
it runs great on the desktop boxen like the 3/60 but it still
sucks a lot on the VME machines.

Nothing stops me from running SunOS 4.1.1 and i have uptimes of
hundreds of days... on busy machines!

>...and am gonna give an extra 3/75 to a friend...

The 3/75 is quite rare compared to the 3/60. I have only one
3/75. But seven 3/60...

>Where's that?
Have a look at http://home.k-town.de/~pkoch/en/tips+tricks.html
and snoop thru the articles regarding the 3/60...
I have high-res pictures of the mainboard where you can see these
things. Click on the low-res pictures!

>And the 3/60 was like 4 or 5 MIPS, right?

Nope, the 68020 at 20 MHz has about 3 MIPS. At 25 MHz maybe 3.5 MIPS.
The 68000 at 8 MHz in my Atari 1040ST has about 1 MIPS.
To have 4-5 MIPS you need a 3/260. The crown is the 3/470 with
about 7 MIPS.

Tschuess

Peter