[SunRescue] LX for sale (loaded?)

Eric Ozrelic erico at bendcable.com
Tue Jun 6 23:02:05 CDT 2000

> machine.  BTW, is the LX the machine with good enough audio to be a nice
MP3
> player?  :)

>From my experiences with putting an LX in my car as an MP3 player.... The
only
way to take advantage of the onboard weird ass 16 bit ISDN/DBRI audio
shiznit
is to use Solaris. I've done a bunch of homework and as far as I know there
are
NO other operating systems that can access this onboard audio hardware. I
installed a super stripped down version of Solaris 7 with the bare minimum
of
services running and the most effecient MP3 player I could find... I can't
remember
what that is but I could look in my e-mail archives and probably find it for
you
if you needed it. I was NEVER able to playback 128Kbps Stereo MP3's at
full quality. It would always skip. I had to either play it back mono, or at
a reduced quality. If did an ls on a directory or anything it would make it
skip.

I had this system loaded with 96MB of ram too.

I finally got sick of this and just went to a super cheapy IBM x86 desktop
box
running *gasp* windows 95 OSR2 and a super nifty RF mouse remote that I
programmed to control winamp. I now have one of the coolest/cheapest MP3
players
on the planet.

Regards,

Eric Ozrlelic