[SunRescue] Yipee! My Ultra 2 is here - so here ar e my setup questions...

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue Jun 6 16:22:18 CDT 2000

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Ken Hansen wrote:

>       Power - this is going into a home set-up, and I have a few 500
>       and 600 VA (watts?) UPSes, would one of these suffice to save
>       my new baby from *most* power problems? Do I *need* to get
>       a larger UPS for this beast?

The U2 uses a 350W p/s.  Unless it's heavily loaded I wouldn't expect it
to draw more than 200W.  Even factoring in power factor they should be
fine.

>       Periperals - I plan on adding a modem, ext. drives, and a
>       postscript printer to this system, is it a bad idea to hook them
>       all up first, then power-up for the first time? (any advantage or
>       disadvantage?)

I'd personally start with just the box and add parts one at a time.
Especially leave off the drives, you don't want to spend hours debugging
SCSI ID conflicts when it turns out the machine itself has a problem.

>       CD-Changer - I have a Pioneer 6 CD Changer (4x I think), what
>       do I need to have this be supported under Solaris 2.5.1, 7 or 8?

If it just maps the different discs to LUNs, just add the LUN entries to
sd.conf.  If it requires special magic to change discs then it may be much
tougher.

>       Software - The system includes a copy of Solaris 7 on CD-ROM,

I would go to 7 or 8.  2.5.1 is getting long in the tooth, though it is
quite solid.

>               SBUS SunPC (w/AMD 586/133 Mhz CPU) - for the
>               fun of it, not needed...

Do you want to run in 64-bit kernel mode?  You will have troubles if so.

>               SBUS Fast SCSI/Ethernet card (10BaseT/SCSI-2) -
>               rather than adapt Wide SCSI to Narrow SCSI, why not
>               put narrow drives/tapes/on this controller?
>
>               SBUS TurboGX (for dual head operation - possible? I
>               already have a Creator card installed)

Both of these should be fine.

-James