[SunRescue] Quick question re: RSM214 and Ultra 2 rackmount

James Lockwood james at quickdog.com
Thu Jun 1 15:07:23 CDT 2000

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Ken Hansen wrote:

> Hello,
> 	How abusive is the price of a rack mount kit for an Ultra 2? I know
> these were made for desktop use, but since they are < 18" wide, they
> certainly had rackmounting in mind/kept as an option...

There aren't really rackmount kits available per se, but the pizzabox
Sparcs are easily mounted on rack shelves (either fixed or sliding).
Generic mounting strap kits are available to secure things in place.

> 	Also, the RSM214 we are all thinking about (well, I am anyway ;^),
> is that a rackmount item by design, or is a kit needed for that as well?

Rackmount, designed for the Sun 56" data center cabinets (but should be
rackable in any standard 19" rack).

> 	My thought is that my machines will most likely end up in my
> basement, and with a 3 1/2 year-old in the house, I'd like to protect my
> investment as much as possible. I have a tall rack already (came across
> one a long time ago, seemed like a good thing to hold on to), so I am
> wondering if the rackmount kits for the above are reasonably priced.
> If they aren't, I guess a shelf for a 19" rack would be just as good - are
> they very expensive?

Check around, in quantity you shouldn't pay more than $10/ea.  Probably be
more like $20-30 for qty. 1.

Anyone got a full enclosed cabinet they'd like to sell/trade in the s/w
U.S.?

-James