[SunRescue] <no subject>

Patrick Giagnocavo a222 at redrose.net
Thu Jun 1 14:09:41 CDT 2000

I am looking at adding some hard drive storage to my SS1000 (which has 2
disk trays, currently filled with 540MB Conners).

I have the Solaris 7 server pack, which includes the DiskSuite software
(RAID in software) stuff.  So I was going to buy two of them and mirror
them.

DirtCheapDrives.com has

IBM309170WC  IBM 9.1GB SCA  @ $230 each.

Their information:

9.1GB Capacity
* 7ms Seek Time
* 2MB Buffer
* 3.5" x 1" (low profile)
* 5 year Warranty
* 7200rpm Spindle Speed
* 3.5" x 1" (low profile)
* Ultrastar 18ES
* SCA Internal Hard Drive

Question:  are these good drives?  anyone have any experience with them?

I am assuming that I can just take the old drive holders off the 540MB
drives and stick them on these drives; and that Solaris will easily
recognize and handle these drives properly.

Is this a good deal?

(I have an external DG RAID box but can't use it without paying my ISP more
money for colocation, arggh)

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
a222 at redrose.net