[SunRescue] Best prices on SS20/Ultra compatible RAM... and s ome disk pointer s/finds

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Jun 28 12:43:52 CDT 2000

I can post some benchmarks that I did on my SS20.  The machine is a dual
SM41, 128MB of ram, 4GB IBM SCSI SCA drive.  Running Solaris, from the
console login, I ran tiobench (it's a multi-threaded benchmarking program).
With a data size of 768MB, it was able to read and write about 7MB/sec to
that disk.  From Linux, on the SAME disk, at the console, it was able to
write about 3MB/sec.  Mind you, that's still quite a bit faster than
ethernet, but it's still pretty darn awful, compared to Solaris.  On a 3
disk RAID 0, Linux got the same read speed, so it's a problem with the ESP
SCSI driver on linux, and not something with the drive.  If I could get a
100Mbit ethernet card for my SPARCs, I suspect that it would be faster than
the disk.
	Grego

P.S.  careful about using SPARC/linux, SPARC international may come after
you for (ab)using their registered trademark.