[SunRescue] Best prices on SS20/Ultra compatible RAM... and s ome disk pointer s/finds

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Wed Jun 28 11:33:01 CDT 2000

Dang, that's less than I've got for PeeCee ram, as of last week.  :-)

> 	Another deal I came across was an 18 Gig HD at HighTechCafe for
> $199. They ran out of drives and were about to cancel my
> order, then I was
> contacted by Teresa (sp?) and she told me that they were
> expecting more
> drives in soon, and I could keep my order open. These are
> fast/wide drives
> w/SCA connectors (IIRC) - keep an eye on their web site if you are
> interested.
> This is a 1.6" high drive, so it can not be easily dropped
> into an SS5/SS20
> without mangling the carrier, and an Ultra is out of the
> question - unless
> you
> go external...

I thought that Bill had said that the half height drives would just barely
fit into an Ultra.  I don't have one, so who knows.  I don't use any
diskspace on my SPARC workstations, everything runs from my SS2 with a nice
pair of 9GB full height SCSI drives, and dual internal 4 gigers.  Besides,
ethernet is faster then disk when running S/linux.  :-/

> 	SCSIStuff has nice Wide external cases with good prices
> - a 4xhalf-
> height ext. case with 4x16 position ID selectors for about $150 (from
> memory).

I haven't figured out the pricing on these things yet.  I'd be inclined to
just get a cheap ATX case, and an external to internal SCSI adapter (you
know, one of the ones that has the 68-pin external on one end, and the
68-pin internal on the other, and covers on of the slots on the back of a PC
case).  PeeCees aren't much good for anything else, but it makes a pretty
decent disk box, and it's a bunch cheaper than a "real" SCSI disk box.  You
can't change the SCSI ID as easily, but once I have things installed, I
never change the ID anyway.
	Grego