[SunRescue] Sparcstation 10 and SM81

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Tue Jun 27 22:21:59 CDT 2000

Earl's processor trials and tribulations continue...
so of course, I've got a question.

After trying out the SM512 (it works just great in a SS20, but doesn't
do diddly in either of my SS10's..sigh..) I sent it back, and got an
SM81 (from a different source).  Now, I've put the SM81 in both of my SS10's,
and keep getting panic's at various states. (I've taken it out of my
primary SS10, boxA, so I can at least have network and mail going
again...it's now in boxB, so I can spend some time tweaking with)  I
tried it in boxB with Rom 2.12 (doesn't even boot...not a big suprise,
figured as much) but with the 2.25 rom, in either box, no luck...keeps
panicing.  I've had it make it "up" for a very little bit in boxA, it
even launched xdm ok, but as soon as I logged in, as it was starting
windows, panic.

So, Now, I've got it in boxB, and I can't even get it to boot.  IT
comes up with :

Async Fault from module 0: afsr b300800 afar=3bf2a80
aerr0 0 aerr1=0
panic: Fatal Asynchronous Fault

I've got the mbus speed set to 40Mhz (figuring that's the correct
for this module) Typing "module-info" at the ok prompt, I get
	MBus  : 40 MHz
	SBus  : 20 MHz
	CPU#0 : 85 MHz SuperSPARC-II / Super Cache 4.x

So it seems to be detecting it fine.  I'm running Solaris 2.7 (with
close to current patch set). 64MB Ram.  I've tried booting with a -r,
and while it gets a bit further, it doesn't make it all the way up,
and once it reboots, goes back into the quick panic state (get the
SunOS Release 5.7 banner, Copyright, blah, blah...then the twirling
/ and then panic...reboot, repeat)

Anybody out there got a SS10 running an SM81?  Do I need a newer
prom??  What have I done to offend the the module gods...any ideas???
Am I cursed to eternally run an SM41 in one of my boxes....sigh...

Earl