[SunRescue] Correction: SCSI errors on a Sun 3/50

Daniel Dickinson perrancan at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 25 19:41:52 CDT 2000

Apologies for my last post:  I was so surprised by the
hardware errors that I posted in excessive haste.

I've been playing around with NetBSD on my Sun 3/50
for a while now, but recently I've had compile errors.
 When I tracked down the source of the errors there
were a couple of makefiles that are generated based on
config files so I thought there was a bug in the
config files.  The kernel people suggested checking
for hardware problems, which I hadn't thought of, and
lo and behold it turns out my SCSI controller has
errors.

When I test the SCSI FIFO/UDC DMA I get errors for
F = 55 E = 1000
In addition I get errors with the external loopback
test.

My first question is whether this could be caused by
problems with hd that's attached (which I'll check
when I get home tonight).  If it's the hd I'll
probably toss it (it's only 300 MB anyway), and go
diskless.  Actually either way I'll probably try out
the Xkernel from the NetBSD arch/sun3 directory (for a
diskless X workstation).  If that works I'll have to
decide how useful a diskless workstation is to me.  If
I decide it's not the Sun Rescue list will be the
first to know.
In the meantime I'm wondering if anyway know what the
error messages above mean, and if/how they can be
fixed.

Daniel Dickinson