[SunRescue] disks for SPARCstarage array

P Nutton Paul.Nutton at awe.co.uk
Fri Jun 23 06:56:54 CDT 2000

Sun
>=20
> This is a SCSI-SCSI RAID box, then?  Have you done any testing to see =
what
> exactly this means?  On our BRAND NEW Compaq DS20, the largest RAID =
array
> that we could create was 32,768MB, on a single array.  However, we =
could
> do
> this use any combination of drives that we liked, from 9GB drives, up =
> 18GB drives.  So, is this box limited to a total of 30 9GB drives, or =
is
> it
> limited to a total of 252GB, which could be about 15 18GB drives? =20
>=20
The system is fibre-channel from the 1000E, with one interface per
additional system board, so 3 storage arrays each with 30 disks. As for =
how
big a RAID-5 array I can build, when delivered by sun in 1994 all 30 1 =
Gb
disks were configured into 1 (one, count them) RAID-5 array by the
installation engineer. This was repeated with the next two which were
delivered with 2 Gb drives. It worked fine like this, if a little slow =
in
committing changes. I use Solstice DiskSuite and can put RAID-5 =
spanning all
3 arrays.  I currently have a mix of RAID-5 sizes, the biggest being 22 =
Gb,
with one disk on each array SCSI controller, keeping the log mirror on =
separate controller pair with the hot spare pool. I have based the
installation on the guidelines in the Adrian Cockroft book on sizing
servers. I also have external 2 and 4 Gb multi disk packs hung off each =
of
the external SCSI (except the one already running the internal disks =
and CD
Rom). Oh, and a 4mm sun tape autoloader. And a quarter inch cartridge =
tape.
All in one big pile. I access the drives via samba from PC clients =
through
the onboard le interfaces and a couple of qe cards, any one connection =
is
limited to 10 Mbit/s, so there isn't much of a fight for disk =
resources. I
do, however, have a quad fast ethernet card to install....
> =20
> > field-technician to me that) It's fair enough to put 7,200rpm and
> > 10,000rpm drives in there since these have much lower access time,
> > usually down to 5-7.5 ms.
> > Remeber that these arrays have 6 seperate Fast-Wide SCSI-channel
> > distributed among the 30 drive connectors, so try to change 6=20
> > drives at
> > a time to distribute the workload if you use striping.
> >=20
> > +-----+ +-----+ +-----+             +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
> > |     | |     | |     |             | 9GB | | 9GB | | 9GB |
> > | ch1 | | ch3 | | ch5 |             | 2GB | | 2GB | | 2GB |
> > |     | |     | |     |             |     | |     | |     |
> > +-----+ +-----+ +-----+             +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
> > |     | |     | |     |             | 9GB | | 9GB | | 9GB |
> > | ch2 | | ch4 | | ch6 |             | 2GB | | 2GB | | 2GB |
> > |     | |     | |     |             |     | |     | |     |
> > +-----+ +-----+ +-----+             +-----+ +-----+ +-----+
> >   ^ front of array ^                  ^ front of array ^
> >=20
> > > I use them attached to a 1000E as a disk farm for PC backup.
> > >=20
> > > Great list, I have been lurking for a month now and used=20
> > info off the list a
> > > half dozen times already.
> >=20
> > I don't know how many times I've have had use for this=20
> > list... probably
> > too many to count. :-)
> >=20
> > Greg, feel free to take notes into the HW-ref
>=20
> Yep, the info is getting filed, thanks.  Maybe I'll just have to =
write
> some
> random snippits for now...
> 	Greg
>=20
Thanks for the help, I have part numbers for 4 and 9 Gb disks that I =
will
try. Will be in a week or so when I next replace failed disks, I will =
let
you know what works.
> =20
> P.S.  I'm assuming that info here is pretty much PD, since it's going =
to a
> mailing list...
>=20

The information in this email and in any attachment(s) is commercial in confidence. If you are not the named addressee(s) or if you receive this email in error then any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.  Please notify us immediately by email at intadmin at awe.co.uk, and then delete this message from your computer.  While attachments are virus checked, AWE plc does not accept any liability in respect of any virus which is not detected.