[SunRescue] Sparcstation IPX Drives

Sheldon T. Hall shall1 at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jun 15 20:08:02 CDT 2000

On Thursday, June 15, 2000 12:45 PM, Tom Yarrish wrote:
> Hello all,
> I apologize if this has been asked already, I didn't turn up anything
with a
> search of archives.  I'd like to get replace the drives in my
Sparcstation
> IPX with larger ones, can someone tell me what type of SCSI drives they
> take?  Also if they take regular SCSI drives like you would put on an
Intel
> box (I'm assuming they would, but I figured I'd ask anyway).

Almost any 50-pin SCSI-2 3.5" form-factor (i.e. 4" wide) half-height drive
will fit and work fine.  A 1" drive will give a little better air
circulation.

Cooling is an issue in the lunchboxes, so get a low-power-consumption
drive.

There are some partition-size issues, too.  I think I'm correct that the
drive can be larger than 2 gigs, but the boot partition has to be smaller
than 2 gigs, lest the actual boot image end up somewhere beyond the
boot-prom's ability to look for it.

I can't remember what's in my IPX at the moment, but it used to have a
2-gig SGI-IBM 1" drive.  The drive worked fine in the IPX and is now
working fine in my LX.

-Shel