[SunRescue] Re: Pictures!(of the Sun2 and others)

jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com
Thu Jun 15 16:03:46 CDT 2000

>sun2 getting hacked, however, since it has no SCSI or SMD it would have to be
>netbooted.

   Note that netbooting a Sun-2 isn't easy. As far as I know, all versions
of SunOS for the Sun-2 use ND rather than NFS for the root partition when
netbooting. There are no other OSes available for Sun-2's. And regardless
of whether I have the details of ND versus NFS exactly right, I know from
bitter personal experience that SunOS 4.1 will not support Sun-2 SunOS
4.0.3 clients (the last SunOS available for Sun-2's). It might be possible
to hand-hack it somehow, but the add_client installer just says "not
supported" and bails.

   I didn't feel like trying to crank up a SunOS 4.0 Sun-3 just to netboot
my Sun-2's, so they're sitting idle until I have time (ha ha ha) to try to
port NetBSD or somesuch to them.

   --James B.