[SunRescue] Re: Pictures!(of the Sun2 and others)

Chris Drelich hyena at interport.net
Thu Jun 15 16:51:37 CDT 2000

I believe I read somewhere that some 2/50s had SCSI and others did not.  Im not
sure on the touchscreen, as I have no touchscreen to try out.  If someone has a
touchscreen I'd be happy to try it out.  The interesting thing is that the
touchscreen is part of the main board(re: its part of the main VME board, as
the second VME slot is empty).  Which at first lead me to believe that it might
be a non-sun2 board, but the 68010 chip leads me to believe it is.  Maybe this
is just an alternate board?

The case top is metal, just like the 3/50.  In fact, this similarity is one of
the reasons why it took me so long to realize this was a sun2.  I have the
metal piece to attach the monitor, I just removed it so that I could easily
stack it.  I have the piece stored safely so that I could easily add it back on
if neccessary.

Since there seems to be a lot of interest in the sun2, Im considering making it
a publicly accessible system on the internet. Re: run a small webserver and
give accounts on it to anyone who wants them.  Im not to concerned with the
sun2 getting hacked, however, since it has no SCSI or SMD it would have to be
netbooted.  What kind of security holes would I open myself up to if I put this
sun2 and its netboot server live on the internet?  Would anyone be actually
interested in having an account on/playing around with a sun2, or is it more
that everyone just wants to own one?

Let me know,
Chris