[SunRescue] Solaris Jobs

Ken Hansen n2vip at bellatlantic.net
Sun Jun 11 19:38:27 CDT 2000

If I had a strong desire to get a Solaris-related job, knowing what I now
know
today, I would consider a Solaris Certification, but would probably decide
against it. Remember, 99 44/100% of the folks with Solaris Related jobs
today
got them before Sun offered certification, so this is not something the
industry
requires. It could, in all likely-hood come across as someone trying to pass
themselves off as something thay are not, a Solaris Admin.

My suggestion would be to:

    Apply to both Sun Corporate and the local Sun office for any
technological
    position. I'm sure they can always use another installer, help desk
person or
    other supporting-role individual. And while you are on the "inside" you
will
    be gaining valuable industry contacts *and* may be able to get some
valuable
    Sun training.

    Assemble a list of the larger Sun clients in the area (derive this list
from the
    help-wanted ads that list Solaris as a requirement, then contact HR at
each of
    these companies and ask them who they use for consulting work. Send your
    resume to each company you learn of, and then attempt to contact a real
person.
    Indicate that you are willing to take any reasonable job to "jump-start"
your new
    career (meaning non-Sun entry-level jobs are worth taking). If *anyone*
can sell
    an inexperienced person into a position at a major company, it is an
account
    executive for a consulting firm... Typically they have a relationship
that spans
    several years and is built on delivering quality people. A company would
be more
    receptive to you if their old friend Mr. Account Executive is standing
behind you.

    Do NOT, under any circumstance send a resume to a company you
think/hope/want
    a consulting company to try and place you. That the client company has
your resume
    on file already could mean they could evade paying the consulting
comapny that
    brought you in for the interview.

I hope this helps,

Ken