[SunRescue] RedHat 6.2 install on a Sparc10/2xSM41

Tom Borton tborton at usa.net
Fri Jun 9 13:44:23 CDT 2000

Shaun,

I'm new to this, so this may not be the best response, but I have gone through a RH 6.2 install on a Sparc2, and I do know a couple of the things that caught me.

What are you using to partition the hard drive?  If you use Disk Druid to partition the drive, the Sun disk label isn't created and the drive won't mount.  In fact, /dev/sda doesn't even show up unless you use fdisk to create the disk label right after you low-level format the drive (I had to use a Solaris 7 CD to create the label and whole disk partition before /dev/sda was created for fdisk to find).

I also found that, at the end of installation, the anaconda package script had problems with my network configuration and crashed, but the error only showed up using the text install, not the GUI.  The GUI doesn't display a console.  I had to select packages by hand to exclude anaconda before the install completed.  And of course, SILO is the last thing run, so the drive wasn't bootable.

Hope this points you in the right direction?

Tom Borton