[SunRescue] LX for sale (loaded?)

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Thu Jun 8 02:16:53 CDT 2000

Hi!

>I was NEVER able to playback 128Kbps Stereo MP3's at full quality.

Then you might have used the wrong mp3-player.
My LX runs Solaris 2.6 and mpg123 (version 0.59m) can decode the
mp3 streams in 16-bit stereo with about 80-90% CPU utilization.
If you renice mpg123 atificially to -19, you have no skips and
drops, even if you move the mouse or copy data from disk to
disk or net or whatever. This is quite astonishing, because my
P-II 450 under Linux WILL drop some frames if it is under heavy
load, regardless of the nice value. I think the Solaris scheduler
is much more mature than Linux' one.

BTW: SunOS 4.1.4 can use the DBRI chip, but not the audio DMA
buffer. This only suffices to play one channel, stereo will
not work.

Tschuess

Peter