[SunRescue] LX for sale (loaded?)

Matthew Haas wedge at onlineimage.com
Wed Jun 7 07:52:55 CDT 2000

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Eric Ozrelic wrote:

[SNIP]

> From my experiences with putting an LX in my car as an MP3 player.... The
> only way to take advantage of the onboard weird ass 16 bit ISDN/DBRI
> audio shiznit is to use Solaris. I've done a bunch of homework and as
> far as I know there are NO other operating systems that can access this
> onboard audio hardware.

 Actually, my SPARCstation LX is my primary machine, and I've been happily
running Debian Linux Slink 2.1 off of it for several months. 2.2 kernel,
and I frequently enjoy audio off of it (with the attached Sun Speaker
Box)... While it gets really choppy when you try and play an MP3 in stereo
44kHz mode, cutting it down to mono or 22kHz gets the job done.

 While support isn't as complete as other ports of Linux, or indeed
Slowaris, it's enough to accomplish its task (I can even adjust volume!)

 Just my $0.02.

 Have fun.

 -    |||       Atari 8-bit!  Star Wars * SPARCbook 3GX * SUMMER!!    -
-     |||      400/800/XL/XE  Battlestar: Galactica * SPARC * Linux    -
- |  | | |  | 2600/5200/7800  StarRaiders * StarTrek * Galaga * SCSI   -
 - ||  |  ||     Lynx/Jaguar  NetBSD 1.4.2 * Descent * Voltron * UNIX -