[SunRescue] Re: LVD drive on SCSI-2

Chris Powell Chris_Powell at mitel.com
Sat Jun 3 11:21:13 CDT 2000

All,

You may remember my problems getting an IBM LVD SCSI drive to work
on a Sun SPARCstation 5 / 10 SCSI-2 port. The problem I had was
that it neither the PROM probe-scsi command or UNIX saw the drive.

I eventually tracked the problem down to not terminating SCSI bits
8-15 (i.e. those unused as I'm using it on narrow SCSI-2). The
68-way to 50-way IDC converter I am using does terminate them, but
takes termination power from the drive, not the bus! I hadn't
spotted this and initially didn't install the termination power
to bus jumper.

Now I have a working 10k, 5.5ms drive - though squeezing it's data
through an 8-bit bus!

Chris.