[SunRescue] Sparc 5 Processor Swap

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Fri Jun 2 19:09:27 CDT 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000, Jonathan Eisch wrote:

> I think the 70MHz chips were socketed, but the 110's were not.  But I
> think there is a PowerUp chip that you 'could' put in.

70's and some 85's were socketed.  Just swapping the chip isn't enough
though, you would also have to replace a (soldered) oscillator.  The
jumper settings on the SS5 motherboard are for memory timings only.

Fujitsu produced a 160MHz TurboSparc upgrade kit, if you're lucky you
might find one secondhand.  They have 512K of cache and one would probably
double your overall CPU speed.  They just plug into the CPU socket and
came with a replacement PROM chip.

-James