[SunRescue] Sun 4 330

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Wed Jul 26 14:48:54 CDT 2000

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> something on it.  It's just way too big and power hungry for my tastes.  For
> a brief summary, I think that it has a 25MHz processor of the type in the
> SS1, although it may have the 40MHz variety that was in the SS2.  The

It has a 25MHz CPU, however the performance characteristics are
considerably different than those of a SS1+.  I ran a number of these at
one time and they seemed to hold up better under load.

> machine has 3 9U VME slots, and the main system board takes up a single 9U
> VME slot.  Room for at least 2 full-height 5.25 inch drives, as well as a

Or two VME slots, if you are using a P4 framebuffer (plugs into a local
video bus on the mainboard).

> front accessible bay for 2 half height drives.  The main system board should

There are 2 5.25" FH bays, one of which is accessible from the front.
Each of those bays can mount one 5.25" FH device or two 5.25" HH devices.

They can run SunOS 4 up to 4.1.4, Solaris up to 2.4, or various *BSD
permutations.  Last I checked Linux support for sun4 was fairly slim.
Note that the 4/300 series is by far the most "normal" (meaning
sun4c-like) of the sun4m family with regards to the SCSI controller,
ethernet and memory.

I used a 4/330 running Solaris 2.4 as my main home system for nearly two
years and it was rock-solid.  Not fast, but very good for the time.
You'll get used to the fan noise in no time.  :)

-James