[SunRescue] Max capacity of harddisk supported by SS20

CyrusM.Reedreedc at cc.wwu.edu CyrusM.Reedreedc at cc.wwu.edu
Fri Jul 21 14:47:24 CDT 2000

The 2 nice things about separate partitions are 1) you can keep a kernel
within the first 2GB of disk (where the PROM can find it) by making a
separate root partion there and 2) you can mount some partitions read-only
for security (not that I've ever done this).  But as I believe you've
noted, it really depends on what your needs are/what you are doing with
the system.  For example, on the SS10 I just installed OpenBSD on, the
disk was only 1GB, so separate partitions would have led to far too much
wasted space; besides which I'll only be using it for a workstation
anyway.  My Linux box on the other hand has several partitions set up on
its 9GB disk because space wasn't a premium, and it just made more sense
for how I use it.  I haven't seen any partioning scheme that works for
everyone all of the time, except for the one that lets you choose how you
want to do it.  :)

-Cyrus