[SunRescue] Max capacity of harddisk supported by SS20

PaulTheodoropoulospaul at anastrophe.com PaulTheodoropoulospaul at anastrophe.com
Fri Jul 21 09:57:27 CDT 2000

There have been 'religious' wars going on in comp.unix.solaris for
years now on the various partitioning philosophies. In my opinion,
the issue is moot if you are using a recent revision of Solaris - 7
or 8 - since journaling is built into the filesystem.

I've been running production systems for years now with just one
BigAss(tm) root partition, along with swap. Once set up, I turn on
logging in /etc/vfstab, and then it's nothing but smooth sailing.
If the system is mission-critical, I mirror the boot disk, and
still use journalling. Simplify, simplify, simplify. I'm currently
mentoring a junior admin, and being able to simply say that the
disk layout will always be root on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 and swap on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 eliminates confusion and uncertainty.

When the current technologies are taken together - large, fast
disks with excellent MTBF, along with a mature OS that includes
journalling - and the option to mirror in software when it's
mission-critical - I think the scale tips in favor of a simple
root-and-swap layout.

But - as always - this is just an opinion! There's no laws
compelling anyone to partition their disks in any particular way,
so if someone wants to set up a six gig partition for
/usr/ucb,  well heck - more power to them.

regards,
paul

Paul Theodoropoulos   paul at atgi.net
Senior Unix Systems Administrator