[SunRescue] 600MP os question

JamesLockwoodjames at quickdog.com JamesLockwoodjames at quickdog.com
Thu Jul 20 18:31:48 CDT 2000

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> What revision of SM100s are these?  They need to be a later revision (check
> the archives of this list for the exact revision, I think that it needs to
> be -7 or higher) in order to do SMP.  Older revisions will only do AMP, and
> only that on OLD OSs.

Right.  "OLD" here means SunOS 4.

If you replace the SM100's with something a bit more modern (like SM41's)
then you will notice a large performance gain and be able to run more
modern versions of Solaris with a few caveats.  Even Solaris 8 will run on
a 4/600 with a minor kernel tweak if you don't care about the VME bus.

-James