[SunRescue] 600MP os question

Gregory Leblanc GLeblanc at cu-portland.edu
Thu Jul 20 16:14:31 CDT 2000

What revision of SM100s are these?  They need to be a later revision (check
the archives of this list for the exact revision, I think that it needs to
be -7 or higher) in order to do SMP.  Older revisions will only do AMP, and
only that on OLD OSs.

> Please give me an idea of what OS I could get running on this beast.
>
> It currently has SunOS and openwindows, but the system was in
> the hands of
> somone who has mangled the heck out of it and I think that it
> would probably
> be best to start from scratch.
>
> There are no other VME cards in the unit, so VME support is
> not crucial.
>
> what can I run on cypress CPUs?

Each of those CPUs should be maybe as fast as the CPU in a SS2.  I estimate
that an SS2 is less than 1/2 as fast as an SM41 (newer 40MHz MBUS module) in
my machines.  I don't know if RH works with those CPUs, but if it does, I'd
recommend running that as you don't care about VME.
	Grego