[SunRescue] Can't login on CDE, dtlogin problem.Help!

joe making joemaking at excite.com
Wed Jul 19 10:00:40 CDT 2000

Dear Sir,

I'm a student of University of Monnesota. There is a Ultra 1 SPARC in our
lab with Solaris 5.5.1 and CDE 1.1. We couldn't login on CDE from a month
ago. After usr inputed correct user name and password on CDE, the computer
stopped at the "Welcome to......" screen and it didn't let the user in.
Then, we rebooted the computer, however, it automatically displayed the
OpenWin Login Interface instead of displaying CDE Login Interface, and users
can login on the OpenWin Login Interface, but the console window kept
displaying:

"Suspending Desktop Login......
Resumeing Desktop Login.....
The X-server can not be started on display :0..."

Then, I login on failure safe mode as a root user, I checked the
/var/dt/Xerrors file, I found the following msg:

"error (pid 172): Server unexpectedly died
error (pid 172): For display :0 can't be started
Fatal Server Error: Server already running!!!"

I check the all process id, I found the id 172 process was dtlogin and it
was still alive.

I did the following things:

1, setenv DISPLAY mapp:0.0, mapp is the host name.
2, copy Xservers  from /usr/dt/bin to /etc/dt/xconfig dir, and I checked the
Xservers again.
3, run: "/usr/dt/dtconfig -d"
4, run: "/usr/dt/dtconfig -e"
5, reboot

But, after I ran commands above and I rebooted it, the computer still
stopped at "Welcome to......" screen and it didn't let the user in. I
rebooted it again, it came into OpenWin Login Interface again!  :-(

After that, we even tried to re-install CDE, but still failed to correct the
dtlogin error.

We are very anxious because we have a lot of apps which have to be run on
CDE. Our project research was stopped because of the problem. Could you
please help us to find a solution? Your kind help will be highly
appreciated.

Thanks

Best regards

Sincerely

Joe

By the way, we did NOT change any configurations before the problem
happended.
The only valuable clue is: a student sent a big file (17MB)to /mapp
directory by using ftp one day before the problem appeared.

Append (filesystem usage):

Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0      38111   21601   12700    63%    /
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6     250727  198057   27600    88%    /usr
/proc                      0       0       0     0%    /proc
fd                         0       0       0     0%    /dev/fd
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3      38111   27801    6500    82%    /var
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7    1377934 1068249  171895    87%    /mapp
swap                  438800       8  438792     1%    /tmp
/dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3    3938524 2255105 1289569    64%    /mapp2

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html