[SunRescue] IPX questions, suggestions

Camiel Vanderhoeven Camiel.Vanderhoeven at asml.nl
Tue Jul 18 06:20:32 CDT 2000

> that it has a AMD Lance Ethernet interface (le0) and there is an AUI
> connector at the back. However I have never set up a 10base5 before and I
> have no idea how it is done. What I want to do is attach it to my PC which
> runs RedHat 6.1 and has an attached 3Com EtherLink III card on it with an
> AUI connector. Does anyone have any idea of how to do this? In adition I

You need to get a transceiver. A transceiver is a little box with two
connectors: AUI and BNC or UTP. The AUI-side plugs into the AUI connector on
your IPX, and on the other side you connect your networkcable (UTP or Coax).

> have an internal 2x SUN CD-ROM which I would love to connect to that IPX box
> so as to avoid network OS install(RedHat 6.1). Can that be done or it is
> impossible? Do you think it is wiser to use a lighter OS than RedHat, like

Yes. I wouldn't run RedHat on it. Linux was never really intended to be
cross-platform, and it's performance on non-IBM-compatible architectures is
behind. I'd try NetBSD or OpenBSD.